Fire Escape Staircases
Exterior Aluminum Stairs
The International Building Code (IBC) is slowly eliminating the use of traditional style fire escapes because they are not very safe, and in fact, new fire escape routes cannot include ladders. New construction will have to incorporate interior means of egress or exterior fire escape staircases complete with handrails and slip-resistant step tread material.
Fire escape stairs
- 100% structural aluminum – thickness and type depends on the height and layout
- Typically designed to be freestanding – we design a frame out of structural I-Beams or square tube support columns
- Custom design to fit within your footprint
- We can comply with ADA, IBC, OSHA, or any other code that is required
- Prefabricated so that no on-site welding is required
- We can install anything under 50′ tall, but any fire exit stair tower taller than 50′ will require a general contractor to install.
- Tread material options are: solid extruded decking, grip strut decking, bar grate decking
- Guardrails with handrails or just guardrails
- Powder-coating color options
- Gate options to secure access to the stairs
- Platform sizes
Steel vs. Aluminum Fire Exit Stairs
When choosing what type of fire escape staircase to construct on the building exterior, it is important to consider the material. Aluminum is the best material for fire escape stairs because it non-combustible and has a high melting point. Galvanized steel is an alternative to aluminum, but it is more costly to ship and much heavier and harder to install. Galvanized steel will also require maintenance as the galvanizing layer corrodes over time whereas aluminum requires zero maintenance and is highly-corrosion resistant.
We couldn’t be more pleased
Very pleased with this product. It looks great and the material will hold up well to the elements. We couldn’t be more pleased with how this project turned out. Everyone at your company was great to work with and very helpful through the entire process.
Fire Exit Staircase Projects
OSHA-compliant fire exit stairs that also serve as roof access.
Project Location: Corona, CA
- Height: 40'
- Footprint: 20' x 11'-7"
- Stringer channel: 8" for step risers, 10" for ship ladder at top
- Footplate: 3/4" x 10" x 15" aluminum flat bar column footplates
- Diagonal Bracing: 3" x 1.41" x .17" structural aluminum channel
- Horizontal Bracing: 6" x 1.92" x .20" structural aluminum channel
- Support beams: 8" x 8" x 3" web x .44 Wide flange aluminum I-Beam
OSHA-compliant fire exit staircase for industrial plant.
Project Location: Bridgman, MI
- Height: 51'
- Footprint: 16'-2" x 11'
- Stringer channel: 8" x 2.29" x .25" structural channel
- Footplate: 12" x 12" aluminum footplates
- Diagonal bracing: 3" x 1.41" x .17" structural channel
- Horizontal bracing: 6" x 1.92" x.20" structural channel
- Support beams: 8" x 8" x.3" Web x .44 flange wide flange I-Beam columns